Be Physically Active Without Spending a Dime
- Created on December 2nd, 2011
- By Go4Life
Close to home
• Get some exercise and socialize with friends while you walk the entire mall.
• Get your garden or yard in shape, and you'll shape up, too.
• Make your own weights from household items - plastic milk jugs filled with sand or water, bags of rice, soup cans, or bottles of water.
• Rather than driving, walk when doing errands.
In your community
• Try out free demonstration exercise classes at your local senior center or fitness center.
• Participate in community-sponsored fun runs or walks.
• Join a basketball or baseball league that plays at your community center.
In the great outdoors
• Go for a hike in a park.
• Learn about trees and plants while exploring a local arboretum.
• Help your community by participating in a stream clean-up effort.
All year round
• Borrow a bicycle and ride around the neighborhood to admire the spring flowers.
• Play an early-morning tennis match at your community courts in the summer.
• Jog through the park and breathe in the crisp fall air.
• Go sledding or cross country skiing in the winter.
Be creative! The only limit to free physical activity opportunities is your imagination!
• Read more tips for adding physical activity to your day.
• Order a free exercise guide or DVD.
• Share your exercise story.