Men's Health Month - Real Men Wear Gowns
- Created on June 1st, 2010
- By Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality
Real Men Know the Facts
When you get a preventive medical test, you're not just doing it for yourself. You're doing it for your family and loved ones:
- Men are 31 percent less likely than women to have visited a doctor within the past year
- Men are 30 percent more likely than women to have neglected their cholesterol tests.
- Hispanic Men were less likely to make routine care appointments with a doctor than White, non-Hispanic men.
- Heart disease is the leading cause of death for American men. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC])
- Just 1 in 3 American men exercise regularly. (CDC)
The single most important way you can take care of yourself and those you love is to actively take part in your health care. Educate yourself on health care and participate in decisions with your doctor.
Ready for "The Appointment"?
HealthMedia.com put a new twist on an old problem: the doctor-patient relationship. Many people have fears of going to the doctor and either don't know how to get the most out of their visit, or don't remember to do so. This highly entertaining video can help you better understand how to work with your doctor, get the most out of each visit, and stay on track with future appointments. Enjoy!